Breast Lift (Mastopexy) Houston
A breast lift or mastopexy is a procedure that restores breasts to a more youthful position on the upper body, while eliminating sagging and drooping of the breasts that can be due to pregnancy, weight loss or gravity. In addition to raising the breasts, a breast lift removes excess skin and repositions the nipple and areola for a natural appearance. The result is a naturally rounded shape and a more youthful projection.
A breast lift offers the following benefits:
- Lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest
- Creates firmness or substance to breasts that appear “deflated”
- Repositions the nipple and areola to the breast center
- Restores breasts that are sagging due to weight loss
Breast Lift Houston
Options in a Breast Lift
Breast lift surgery may be performed alone or in combination with other procedures, as follows:
- Breast lift alone — appropriate for women who are experiencing breast drooping due to pregnancy, weight loss or the long-term effects of gravity, but still have sufficient breast volume
- Breast lift with implants — this combined procedure, known as augmentation mastopexy, works well for women whose breasts are sagging and have lost volume
- Breast lift with implant removal — women who choose to have breast implants removed may decide to have a breast lift at the same time for an uplifted, youthful look
Dr. Rappaport is an expert on breast procedures and can help you determine which procedure or combination or procedures will offer you the results you are looking for.
How is a Breast Lift Performed?
Dr. Rappaport may use one of several surgical techniques, depending on the size of the breasts and the degree of ptosis (sagging):
- A crescent incision is appropriate if you have small breasts with very slight drooping. This technique involves a semicircular incision around the upper edge of the areola and removal of a small amount of excess skin above the nipple.
- The Wise pattern, sometimes referred to as the anchor, allows Dr. Rappaport to remove the greatest amount of excess skin and sagging. The pattern involves an incision that circles the areola and extends from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease. Another incision runs horizontally along the breast crease, creating the shape of an anchor. This technique is most likely to maintain sensation in the breast and allow the patient to breastfeed after surgery.
- The circum-vertical technique, also known as a lollipop incision, works best for breasts with mild to moderate droop. The incision circles the areola and extends vertically from the nipple to the breast crease.
Dr. Rappaport usually performs breast lift surgery under general anesthesia. The procedure is done on an outpatient basis, which means you can go home the same day as your procedure. Dr. Rappaport chooses the best incision to allow him to raise the breasts and reposition the nipple and areola. The duration of the procedure will depend on the specific technique used, the amount of alteration to be done and whether other procedures will be performed at the same time.
What is the Recovery Like?
You will experience mild discomfort for the first few days after surgery. There may be some swelling and bruising for the first couple of weeks and you will be wearing a sports bra for support. Your internal stitches will dissolve. If you have external stitches, they will be removed in seven to 10 days. Most patients go back to work within a week. You can expect your scars to fade by six to 12 months after surgery.
Dr. Rappaport Answers Questions about Breast Lifts
Will I still wear the same bra size after a breast lift?
In most cases, yes. A breast lift reduces the skin envelope of the breast, but does not remove breast tissue. Thus, most women wear the same bra size before and after breast lift surgery.
How do I know if I should have a breast lift, implants or both?
Consider these factors when making this decision:
- If you are happy with the appearance of your breasts in clothing, but dissatisfied with the shape of your breasts, you are probably a candidate for a breast lift.
- If you are dissatisfied with the size of your breasts, you may want to consider breast implants.
- If you are dissatisfied with both the size and shape of your breasts, you could benefit from a combined breast lift and augmentation.
Aren’t implants alone enough to correct breast sagging?
Implants alone can improve the appearance of breast sagging in women with a very mild degree of ptosis. However, there is a tendency for some to recommend a larger implant in this situation to try to overcome the ptosis. But then the breast becomes, in my opinion, too large for the patient’s torso. My approach is to begin by asking, ‘What is the best breast size for the patient?’ and then asking, ‘How do we deal with the breast tissue to have it in an improved position?’
What do you think distinguishes your approach to breast lifts?
Like everything else we do, we try to see what will be the best answer to the patient’s problem, and then suggest a procedure for the problem — as opposed to trying to find a problem for the procedure.
Can exercise lift my breasts?
Exercise, diet and creams will not change the lift in your breasts. A breast cannot contract to its original size without surgical intervention.
I’m still thinking about having more kids. Should I wait to have a breast lift?
My advice would be to wait to have a breast lift until you have completed your family because pregnancy can change the shape of the breasts and may tend to undo some of the results of the surgery. However, should you subsequently become pregnant an additional procedure can further restore the shape of your breasts
Will a breast lift affect my ability to breastfeed?
Probably not. This is more of an issue with breast reduction surgery, but I’ve had plenty of breast reduction patients who have been able to breastfeed.
Why do some women choose to have their implants removed during a breast lift?
Women who have had breast implants for many years may find their body image has changed. If a woman has gained a few pounds as she has matured, she may feel she looks more matronly with larger breasts. Removing the implants and performing a breast lift has the same effect as a breast reduction — it gives the woman a more uplifted, youthful look.
Dr. Rappaport is experienced in all types of breast lift procedures and will be able to recommend the best technique for your specific needs. He will walk you through the surgery process step by step, so you know what to expect from your procedure and ensure realistic expectations for your results. To learn more about the benefits of breast lift surgery, contact Houston Center for Plastic Surgery at 713-790-4500.